Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Avocado Key Lime Pie

So each month, our Cross Fit gym hosts a paleo pot luck dinner.  In an effort to utilize my culinary prowess for good [read, healthy] over evil, I look at this as a fun opportunity to try some new and innovative recipes that I may not normally.  While James and I don't follow a strict paleo lifestyle, we do see the value in several elements that eating paleo brings to the table (no pun intended).  Most of our meals are unprocessed and we try to minimize our grain intake when possible.

This month, I'm adapting the spectacular South African specialty bobotie [to be blogged at a later date] and a creamy avocado key lime pie.  Now in my opinion, the trick to an awesome key lime pie is the crust and since I can't actually use graham crackers, I need to mimic the spice blend to recreate the flavor profile.

Avocado Key Lime Pie

For the crust:
1 cup almond meal (I recommended the Trader Joe's brand, it works well and is a great value)
1 cup of dates
Blend the following spices to taste:  kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon and cayenne pepper

- Pulse ingredients in a food processor until well incorporated
- Firmly press into a lightly greased 9" pie plate*

For the filling:
4 hass avocados
1/4 cup lime juice
3/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup raw honey or agave syrup

- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy
- Spoon filling into the pressed crust
- Freeze for 1 1/2 hours to set the pie
- Transfer pie to the refrigerator or allow to thaw at room temperature for 15 minutes prior to serving
- Top with crushed almonds, raspberries, sliced strawberries or shaved coconut as a garnish

*You can also use muffin tins and make individual tarts as opposed to a full pie


No comments:

Post a Comment