Thursday, September 12, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

I'm the type of person that will eat hot cereal year-round without a second thought.  I grew up on oatmeal and cream of wheat and throughout my adult life, I've expanded my cereal options to be a bit less traditional.  I've written several times before about quinoa and how ridiculously good it is for you.  I know it's on the cusp of the paleo debate - it's a seed, not a grain and there's a good deal of back and forth about wether or not it falls into the acceptable category.  Personally, I see it as a minimally processed, plant-based complete protein with tons of health benefits and an essentially bland canvas for you to create anything you'd like.  It's also an incredibly satisfying way to start your day.

Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

1 cup white quinoa
2 medium sized apples, diced (I prefer gala or fuji)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
2 cups water
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice

- In a dry skillet, toast your quinoa seeds until they take on a light golden brown color and set aside
- In a medium sauce pan, melt your butter and coconut sugar together into a smooth consistency
- Saute your apples for about 5 minutes in the carmel mixture
- Add your quinoa water to the sauce pan, cover and simmer on medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until the water has cooked out
- Stir in honey and spices
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days


No comments:

Post a Comment