Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Down... But Never Out

Did anyone get the license plate of that truck that hit me?  CF 14.5... got it.  It's been a while since I was this sore from a workout.  Standing hurts, sitting hurts, breathing hurts... you get the idea.  It's also kind of funny how a little time (in this case, about a day) can change my perspective on things.

I completed workout 14.5 on Monday night, after procrastinating it as long as humanly possible, with less than stellar results.  The workout itself was an awful experience for me and literally brought me to involuntary tears part of the way through.  Once I collapsed after finishing (literally), I remember thinking, "you never, ever have to do that again... silver lining."  Yesterday, while I maintained my fervor that 14.5 was a one time thing, I started thinking about my thrusters.  

I've hated thrusters since I started CrossFit.  I know my form isn't ideal - okay, let's be honest, my thruster form is typically a front squat followed by a strict press - my form sucks.  During the workout, one of my coaches started breaking down what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.  Okay, when i do them right - as in, using your whole lower body to "thrust" the bar up - they're not so bad.  Granted of the 82 reps I preformed on Monday, around 70 of them were still awful, but the 12 or so I managed to clean up actually didn't feel that bad.  

So after another night to sleep on the pain and anguish that was 14.5, my mindset has transitioned from "never again" to "I can do better."  Maybe it's the ibuprofen talking (yep, I'm hardcore), but I see no reason I can't work on my cardio endurance and lifting form to improve this workout.  So, in order to hold myself accountable, here it goes - I'm giving myself six months (that will bring us to the end of September) and I'm doing it again.  This time, my thrusters will be thrusters, my burpees will not be me collapsing in a pile of goo 82 times.  14.5 won this round, but I'll be back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment