Saturday, September 8, 2012

Defeating an Arch Nemesis


For the longest time, I’ve viewed the protein shake as an arch nemesis of the culinary world.  I prefer to eat my meals, rather than drinking them and I’m still baffled as to how a “shake” with a watery, chalky consistency can  pack 20 grams of protein in 12 fluid ounces.  My traditional post workout fare has always been more or the grilled chicken breast or Greek yogurt variety, but sometimes, convenience trumps my desire to eat something truly spectacular.

With our half marathon training underway, I’ve gone on a mission to find protein shakes that weigh in around 250 calories, 20+ grams of protein and quite frankly, don’t taste like crap.  After some pretty extensive trial and error, I think I’ve managed to concoct a few recipes that are actually borderline enjoyable.  Amber – 1, Chalky Protein Powder – 0. 

This first creation was spawned after a quirky nostalgic love of the McDonald’s St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Shake.  Yes, I fully understand that there’s nothing milk-like about a McDonald’s shake and I personally gross myself out a little bit with the thought that I actually crave them once a year.  My version however, actually consists of ingredients I can identify and more or less comes in around half the calories of the fast food version. 

Shamrock Protein Shake

½ cup low fat cottage cheese
½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ cup water
1 scoop Designer Whey vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp sugar free pistachio pudding mix
½ tsp peppermint extract
1 packet stevia
6 ice cubes

- Combine all ingredients in a blender, placing the liquid ingreiddents in first to help promote even blending

Next I wanted to play into the impending fall weather and create something reminiscent of pumpkin pie.  As I’m sure any avid reader knows, I love pumpkin.  Heck, I love fall and everything about it so any excuse to create a healthy option that uses pumpkin, I’m in. 

Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake

½ cup low fat cottage cheese
½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
¼ cup water
1 scoop Desiger Whey vanilla protein powder
¼ cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling – pumpkin should be the only ingredient)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground clove
2 stevia packets
1 teaspoon honey
6 ice cubes

- Combine all ingredients in a blender, placing the liquid ingredients in first to help promote even blending

With the basic protein shake base (cottage cheese, almond milk, water and protein powder), the possibilities are really endless with what you can create.  You just want to be mindful to keep your flavorings to under 50 calories to keep the nutrition content in tact. 

I’m sure some of you are questioning the choice of cottage cheese in the base.  I’ve tried yogurt and while yes, it works just fine, the tanginess that accompanies the flavor profile can offset some of the flavors of the shake (it worked okay with the pumpkin but I wouldn’t recommend it with the shamrock).  I know cottage cheese initially puts a lot of people off, but I promise, after you blend it, you’ll achieve a smooth, creamy texture with no signs of curds. 

Give it a try and be creative!  I’d love to hear some suggestions and creations my readers have come up with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment