On a side note, Jenny writes an incredible blog and is a phenomenal baker. Check her out here.
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
1/4 cup light olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract2 eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts
- Whip the eggs and add to the oil mixture
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder
- Whisk your dry ingredients into the wet until they form a thick dough
- Gently fold in pistachios and cranberries
- Form the dough into two logs, the dough may be a bit sticky and it helps to wet your hands before you work with it
- Bake the logs for 35 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a minimum of 10 minutes
- Slice your biscotti into 3/4 inch cookies and arrange in a single layer on your baking sheet
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes (shorter for a cake-ier consistency, longer to crisp)
*You can replace the cranberries and pistachios with any fruits or nuts you prefer. I like the "holiday" look of the red and green and the flavor profile works well together.
**For an more traditional Italian flavored biscotti, substitute the almond extract for anise.