Friday, February 28, 2014

14.1 and my CrossFit-iversary

Last night, The CrossFit Open kicked off with their opening WOD announcement.  To borrow a metaphore from The Girls Gone WOD Podcast, I felt like I was watching the reaping scene in the Hunger Games - however this time, the WODs were not in my favor.

Backing up for a moment, for all my non-CrossFit readers, The Open is a worldwide competition that kicks off The CrossFit Games.  In order to truly crown the winners of The Games, "The Fittest Man and Woman on Earth," you have to technically make the competition open to well, everyone on earth.  Each week for five weeks, they announce a different workout for competitors to complete and record their scores to the leaderboard.  That way, you can see how you stack up agains the other 190+ thousand competitors in the world.  It's a really incredible way to bring such an amazing community together.  I can also say with absolute resolve that I'm competing against Christmas Abbott.  Yup... I'm coming for ya...

So back to this first workout, aka 14.1.  The programming committee thought it was time for a throwback workout.  Let's revisit the first open workout ever, 11.1 - a 10 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) of 30 double unders and 15 55# snatches.  If I'm speaking Russian to you at this point, check out this video of the workout to clarify.

Now double unders are not a good friend of mine.  We're getting better acquainted lately, but we still have our spats.  I knew they were going to come up in an open workout somewhere, I just wasn't expecting them to be the first move of the first workout.

I made my first attempt at the workout this evening and achieved 170 reps (three full rounds plus 30 double unders and 5 snatches into my fourth round), which I was pretty okay with.  My reaching goal for the workout is to break 200 repetitions but that will take a magical day where double unders and I are getting along splendidly.  I'm going to attempt it again on Monday and we'll see how that goes.

I also wanted to point out that this past week was my one year CrossFit-iversary!  Happy CrossFit-iversary to me (and James)!  We had started working with a trainer a year prior to joining our affiliate and slowly worked our way into CrossFit-like workouts and movements, but the official date of our induction into the CrossFit community commenced one year ago.  It's been quite a ride so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what the future brings!



No comments:

Post a Comment