Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My CrossFit Security Blanket

As a child, like most, I had my beloved "binky."  Mine was a quilted, yellow satin blanket that I took everywhere with me until it literally disintegrated into a pile of thread and filler.  I'm not sure if it really provided me with a sense of security or if I just enjoyed the way the soft fabric felt but regardless, it took on the role as an extension of my being, traveling everywhere I did and providing a rousing challenge for my mother to separate me from it long enough to do a load of laundry.

For nearly a year, I never understood the value of a weight belt.  I honestly didn't give it much thought at all.  Then after a conversation with a seasoned athlete, I decided to give one a shot - a decision that I wouldn't so much say I regret, but definitely second guess.

I think I've become addicted to my weight belt.  Without realizing it, I let it become my CrossFit "binky," if you will.  The thought of squatting without it gives me a touch of anxiety at this point, making me doubt my own abilities.  On the contrary, when I tighten it up, I feel like I have superhuman strength and can achieve new feats of lifting.

Okay, I do realize that my hot pink weight belt doesn't make me a superhero.  Heck, I think I know deep down that it really doesn't even make that much of a difference, despite my fear of not using it.  As a rational adult, I'm fully aware that my physical performance is a direct correlation of my body, not any accessory, but it doesn't change that twinge of fear I feel at the thought of squatting heavy without it.

I'd love to hear some input from other athletes on their experiences with using belts (or other accessories for that matter) and if it's something they feel they've developed a reliance on.  Do I need to wean myself off it?



No comments:

Post a Comment