Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting Off With a Bang

Well, I can honestly say, if the first two days are any indication of how 2014 is going to pan out for me, I'd be pretty happy with the end result.

Yesterday, I started out the year with my first [heavily] banded bar muscle up.  Although it took some strong elastic assistance to get me perched over the bar, I'm damn proud of myself for getting up there.  It's a small victory, but it's my victory.  Just being able to get through the motion of a muscle up gave me a glimmer of a hope that I will get to a point where I can eventually do one unassisted.  I've also added 5 pounds to my push press PR and my snatches have actually felt like I think they're supposed to over the past two days.  Woot!  Go me!

I also put a twist on one of my former favorite recipes I've blogged and cleaned it up into a Paleo-friendly version.  My New Orleans-style chicken tenders are a fabulous blend of sweet and spicy enwrapping a moist, delicious tenderloin of chicken.  They weren't as crispy as the previous version that I made with panko breadcrumbs, however I think the flavor and moistness compensated for the lack of crunch.  They also reheat beautifully and are a great make-ahead protein option.


Paleo New Orleans-style Chicken Tenders

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cleaned
1 large egg
3 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 teaspoon melted ghee
2 tablespoons raw coconut sugar
3/4 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
5-6 grinds of freshly ground black pepper

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small mixing bowl, lightly beat together your egg, ghee, coconut sugar and hot sauce
- Toss in your chicken to thoroughly coat it and let sit for 10 minutes to marinate
- In a paper bag, combine almond meal, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper
- Toss the chicken tenders in the paper bag to coat with the almond meal mixture
- Lay on a baking rack as such that none of the tenders are touching
- Bake for 23 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees



No comments:

Post a Comment