Monday, May 30, 2011

Bacon & Brown Sugar... a marriage made in heaven

I've been told on several occasions that 90% of why my boyfriend is dating me relates back to one of our first dates when I made him my infamous praline bacon.  I can't really blame him because this bacon is truly amazing.  It's found a place in countless breakfasts, brunches, dinners, snacks, and even as dessert in a six-course tasting menu.  I was hesitant at first to share my secrets to bacon bliss, but I feel it would be wrong to deprive the world of such deliciousness.

First, lay out your bacon on a baker's rack over a cookie sheet.  I always use Trader Joe's Applewood Smoke-Cured Bacon, but any thick-cut, high quality bacon will work.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and cook the bacon until it's almost crisp, but not quite there yet (usually 8-10 minutes).

While your bacon is in the oven, use a coffee or spice grinder to finely chop 1/2 cup of pecans.  You want the nuts to be close to a powder consistency.  Combine the pecans with 1/3 cup of light brown sugar and mix well to incorporate the ingredients. 

Remove the cookie sheet of bacon from the oven and lightly press the pecan/sugar mixture onto each slice.  Make sure you coat all of the bacon thoroughly.  Now put the tray back into the oven for 5-6 minutes to allow the sugar to melt and form a delicious crust.  Let the bacon cool before eating... we've had a few burnt mouth incidents in my kitchen caused by impatience.  It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week and reheats incredibly well (it's also delicious cold).


Praline Bacon, Tahitian Vanilla Zabaglione with Brandy-Poached Apricots & a "Coffee" Shooter

1 comment:

  1. Disclaimer: James has asked the I clarify that the bacon is only 85% of the reason he's dating me.

    ReplyDelete