Monday, May 30, 2011

Lunch Mediterranean Style

When it comes to mid-day meals, easier is always better in my book.  I like to try and prep stuff that I can easily eat during the week ahead of time because if it really comes down to it, I know that not only will I not want to put in the effort come lunchtime on your average weekday... I won't.  Now sometimes, I just don't have the downtime on my day off to spend an afternoon cooking and I thought I would share one of my favorite quick, nutritious lunch options that I often throw together in under five minutes. 

It's kind of my take on a quick, Mediterranean flat bread.  I take a mini Joseph's Bakery flax seed pita and toast it in the oven (or toaster oven if you have it) for about 3-4 minutes until crisp.  I then add 1 tablespoon of Sabra Luscious Lemon Hummus (or whichever flavor suits your fancy), 1 tablespoon of Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Tabouli, a few dashes of Penzey's Salad Sprinkle spice mix, one sliced plum tomato, a few pieces of sliced red onion, fresh bean sprouts and 1/4 of a fresh avocado (today I used a Hass avocado, but Florida avocados work just as well if they're in season and they have about 1/2 the fat content). 

It's quick, easy, filling, crunchy and super nutritious... all positives in my book! 


Today, I paired my flatbread with a glass of Sokol Blosser Dundee Hills 2007 Pinot Noir which actually worked fantastically.  The creaminess of the avocado played well with the texture and body of the wine.  All of the flavors in the food were light and fresh so I didn't want anything too bit that would wash them out.  The tartness of the lemon hummus helped accentuate some of the sour cherry and cranberry notes in the wine.  It was bigger than I would have expected for a pinot noir, but still subtle and understated enough to work with my light lunch.  Along with today's weather, my back porch lunch by the garden could have worked just as well on a Tuscan vineyard.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment