Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tipsy Cupcakes... no, really

So I figured it was about time for me to explain the namesake of my illustrious blog.  As anyone who knows me knows, I like alcohol.  And what do you know, I really like cupcakes.  I think they make the perfect little single serving, compact dessert.  About a year ago, I had what I like to think was a stroke of genius... why not bake cupcakes infused with alcohol?  And so it began... my legacy as the cupcake lady of Not Your Average Joe's Medford.  You see, I love to bake, and if I bake, then there are baked goods in the house.  I tend to eat baked goods when they're readily accessible which is counterproductive when one is trying not to blow up like a balloon.  My solution: bring said baked goods to work.  This was seen as my attempt to sabotage the competition during our "Biggest Loser" contest at work, but realistically, had their been another method of disposal for said treats aside from throwing them out, I would have exercised my options.

So I thought I would take a moment and share some of my cupcake recipes that helped inspire me with you all.  The first is a basic cupcake recipe that I've adapted into various "cocktail" incarnations.  The first part of the recipe is just the standard chocolate cupcake base that I use, the subsequent alterations afterward are what ultimately make the dessert "tipsy."

Standard Chocolate Cupcakes
9 oz Dark Chocolate (I prefer Callebaut Chocolate from Whole Foods)
3/4 Cup of Butter (I prefer Kerrygold Irish Butter)
1 Cup Superfine Granulated Sugar
3 Large Eggs
2/3 Cup All Purpose Flour (I tend to use a whole wheat variety)
1 tsp. Baking Powder

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
*Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
*Break the chocolate into pieces and place into a microwave-safe bowl.
*Dice the butter and add to the chocolate.
*Microwave on a medium setting for 1 minute.  Check consistency and repeat if necessary. 
*Add in the sugar and eggs.
*Using an electric or stand mixer, whip the mixture for 30 seconds on a low setting.
*Add the flour and continue to whip on a medium setting for an additional 30 seconds. 
*[Insert your "tipsy" option here.]
*Using an ice cream scoop, portion the batter into the lined muffin tins.
*Bake for 15 minutes and check consistency with a fork.  Remove if fully baked, if not check every 2 minutes subsequently.
*When done, transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
*Do not decorate until completely cooled.
*These will store at room temperature for up to 2 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.

The Espresso Martini Cupcake:
*Add 1 shot of chilled espresso, 2 tbsp. of Kahlua and 2 tbsp. of Vodka
*Add 4 tbsp. Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur to the Butter-Cream Icing 

The Chocolate Cherry Manhattan Cupcake: 
*Add 3 tbsp. of Jack Daniels #7 Whiskey and 1 tsp. of Antica Formula Vermouth 
*Add 3 tbsp. of Pinnacle Cherry Whipped Vodka  and 2 drops of red food coloring to the Butter-Cream Icing

The Grasshopper Cupcake:
*Add 4 tbsp. of White or Green Creme de Menthe
*Add 2 tsp. of Green Creme de Menthe to the Butter-Cream Icing (if using White, add 3 drops of green food coloring)

So I promise more of my liquored up recipes in the not too distant future... next on the docket, my Drunk in Disneyland Cupcake... a cotton candy cupcake with pink lemonade icing and lavender sprinkles.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment