Sunday, November 3, 2013

Life Post Whole 30 & Paleo Breakfast Bread

So I know there's a lot of debate around "paleo" baked goods.  I kind of agree with the mentality that if you're not going to eat the real thing, stop half-assing it, however this past week being off the Whole 30 has been even more eye opening than the actual 30 day program.

Reintroducing sugars, gluten and dairy to my diet has been a lot more uncomfortable than I thought, with gluten being my biggest issue.  Now I'm not saying that I have celiac or that I'm gluten intolerant, but there's definitely an issue with the way my body processes it.  It's actually making me wonder why I was ever okay with feeling this way before.  The sugar reintroduction has been mild - mostly honey or stevia in small amounts.  I honestly haven't felt the impulse to make things incredibly sweet.  Dairy has also been limited.  I'm still drinking my coffee black without issue, but I've added plain greek yogurt and cheese back in and haven't noticed much change.  I'm trying to keep my intake limited to once per day at most and haven't noticed much change in the way I feel.

This brings me to today's brunch - fresh farmer's market eggs, ground sausage from "our pig" and paleo breakfast bread.  I wanted something baked to enjoy with my brunch but honestly had no desire to feel like I was being gutted.  I've tried making paleo breakfast breads in the past and there's been a little bit of trial and error to get to my final recipe, but I'm really happy with the outcome.  If you're looking for a sweeter bread, you can double the honey and stevia amounts without altering the texture.


Paleo Breakfast Bread

1/2 cup almond butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon stevia
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Nonstick coconut oil spray

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond butter, eggs, honey, stevia and vanilla and whip util fluffy using a hand mixer
- Add in dry ingredient and mix on low speed until smooth and well incorporated
- Spray a mini loaf pan* with coconut oil spray and spoon batter into the pan
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and remove it cleanly
- Remove bread from the pan immediately and allow 5-10 minutes to cool
- Serve warm with honey butter or fruit preserves

*You can double the recipe for a full size loaf pan




No comments:

Post a Comment