Monday, November 4, 2013

So I've Decided I Like This Challenge Thing...

I like structure.  Even if my structure is self-imposed, it helps me function.  For context, anyone who knows me well, knows that I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to organization.  I was the kid who alphabetized her CD's within separate categories and would twitch a little bit when one was out of place.  In many ways, that's bled into my adult life and made me someone who operates better with some level of guidelines.

The Whole 30 worked for me because it laid out a finite set of rules to follow; the downside being that I don't want to beat myself up for the rest of my life for wanting a piece of cheese.  I could easily turn a Whole 30 into a Whole 365 but when rules are laid out for me, I tend to approach them in an all or nothing mentality.  Eventually, that's going to crash and burn on me.  I've decided that I want to find a happy medium where I can live by these principals that I've adapted into my life over the past month, but find a way to give myself leeway to indulge without feeling like I've derailed myself.

Enter, Emily Schromm's 21-Day Superhero Unleashed Challenge.  It's a paleo/CrossFit challenge based around positive reinforcement for good choices, rather than rigid rules.  You make a good choice, you get a point.  I like points, no matter how arbitrary they may be; that might be the competitive nature in me coming out.  Either way, it seems like it could be a good stepping stone to keep me on track after my Whole 30, while giving a little wiggle room if I decide to have a glass of wine one night after work.  I think it could be a win/win.  I've also gotten James to commit to this as well - we'll see how that goes.

While I'm not planning a full 21-day blog diary, I will keep you updated as to how the challenge is going.  If you're interested in checking it out for yourself, it starts on Wednesday, November 6th and runs until the day before Thanksgiving.  Along with the challenge, you get daily videos from Emily, who is kind of a CrossFit badass.


Unleashed Fitness
Unleash Your Inner Superhero!

No comments:

Post a Comment