Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pumpkin Almond Butter - Day 7

So today marks a a full week of Whole 30 and honestly, I feel fantastic.  I'm really proud of myself for sticking with this and I'm feeling the benefits at this point.  I'm excited to see how my workouts go this week - not necessarily looking for monumental improvement, but an increase in stamina shouldn't be too much to ask for.

I've planned out our meals for the week and prepped all of my proteins to ensure options.  Even having a plan, there are always times that frankly, I just don't feel like what's on the menu.  That being said, for me at least, having choices has been key.  This week's protein choices: hard boiled eggs, dill crusted smoked salmon, carved rotisserie chicken, almond crusted chicken tenderloins, and mini horseradish burgers.  I've also got frozen tilapia ready to go as an easy to cook mid-week dinner option as well.  I really do believe in the idea of "planning to succeed is rooted in succeeding to plan."  Maybe it's because I'm a little OCD on my organization, but it works for me - therefore, I'm going to roll with it.

Along with prepping my protein for the week, I made a completely Whole 30 approved treat that I'm pretty darn excited about.  I was listening to the Girls Gone WOD podcast yesterday (If you haven't listened to them, you should.  The hosts, Claire and Joy are hilarious and make a long car ride feel like you're hanging out with a couple of girlfriends talking about CrossFit) and they mentioned that Nikki's Coconut Butter (also an incredible find) was making a Pumpkin Spiced Donut flavor for fall.  If I weren't driving, I may have crumbled to my knees in excitement.  Unfortunately, I can try it until November because it's sweetened with maple syrup.  Boo.  In lieu, I've decided to create my own concoction within the Whole 30 guidelines (and order a jar for next month).  Check it out, it's ridiculously easy and incredibly delicious - just make sure you're storing it in the refrigerator.


Pumpkin Almond Butter 
2 cups raw almonds
1/2 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup roasted pumpkin (canned will also work)
1/2 of raw ginger, grated
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

- Puree all ingredients on high speed in a food processor until well incorporated and at your desired consistency.  I prefer a smoother butter but you can blend it to a slightly chunky consistency as well.
- Store refrigerated and stir before using for best results.



No comments:

Post a Comment