Monday, October 28, 2013

The End is Near (and I'm not ecstatic) - Day 29

So with two days left, I expected to be overjoyed at the idea of compete freedom in my eating choices upon me.  Surprisingly, not so much.  James suggested we order pizza on Wednesday to celebrate the conclusion of the program and honestly, I'm not feeling it.  I actually have very little desire to diverge from the program.  Not to say I'm never going to eat pizza again, but it's definitely something I'll save for rare occasions.

Once thing I've definitely reevaluated is the need for sugar (meaning any sweetener) in my life.  I've learned to enjoy my coffee unsweetened, left the maple syrup out of my paleo granola recipe and generally accepted that I just don't need everything to be sweet.  It's amazing how much more I notice the sweetness levels in foods when you remove added sugars from your diet.  Again, another practice I have full intention of maintaining post Whole 30.


Paleo Pumpkin Spice Granola

1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup cashew pieces
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup hulled pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped dates
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until well coated
- Lay mixture out in a thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to one week
- Eat dry as a snack or serve with coconut milk as a cereal




No comments:

Post a Comment