Friday, October 4, 2013

The First Temptation - Day 4

So all in all, I'm still going strong.  I feel great, I'm sleeping well, my workouts are aren't feeling sluggish - this kind of rocks.  I was however, presented with my first temptation challenge, if you will.  We held our weekly staff meeting at the Cask & Vine, a cute little wine and craft beer bar in Derry, NH.  This was my first time in a restaurant since starting the Whole 30 and I was surrounded by my coworkers drinking glasses of rioja and valpolicella.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a wine lover, cork dork if you will, and obscure Spanish and Italian wines hold a special place in my heart.  Coincidentally, that's what everyone chose to drink.  I held strong with my lemon water and stuck to my guns.

Then came the pumpkin streusel.  Pumpkin streusel - crispy, slightly salty phyllo dough wrapped around a pumpkin creme fraiche filling with a sweet pumpkin reduction.  Yes, it looked good.  Really good.  Heck, it smelled better than it looked.

It kind of prompted an internal conversation of why I wanted to do the Whole 30 in the first place.  The long and the short of it, my end goals were more important to me than the immediate gratification of biting through crunchy phyllo dough.  I committed to this program to so see how far an I can push myself.  To break though this weight loss plateau (I have a sneaking suspicion that pull ups get easier as you get lighter) and really see what I'm capable of physically.  Unfortunately, the pumpkin streusel special at Cask & Vine may not be there when I complete the Whole 30, but I've been known to recreate a dish or two on my own.  That may just have to go on the list...

No comments:

Post a Comment