Thursday, October 24, 2013

The End is in Sight & Turkey Schnitzel - Day 25

Schnitzel is such a fun word, I wish it had more applications in daily vocabulary.  Technically, it's referencing a German style of meat preparation where meat is pounded out thinly, breaded and fried, but it just has such a fun way of rolling off your tongue.  As part of my weekly meal prep, I've been making almond crusted chicken fingers and this week, James suggested mixing things up with some turkey tenderloins.  Enter the plan for schnitzel.  Also, it just plays in the whole seasonality of October - yay Germans!  

Turkey Schnitzel

1 lb turkey tenderloins
1 egg
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/2 cup of almond meal
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 teaspoons dried parsley 
1 teaspoon paprika 
1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
9-10 grinds of freshly cracked black pepper 
Coconut oil for frying

- Using a meat tenderizer, pound out your turkey loins until they are an even thickness throughout, around 1/8 of an inch thick
- In a bowl, whisk together your egg, mustard and half the salt 
- Marinate your turkey for 10 minutes in the egg mixture
- In a paper bag, combine almond meal, flax and spices; shake well 
- Toss turkey loins into the paper bag, one at a time, shaking vigorously to coat
- Heat your coconut oil in a large skillet 
- Cook each tenderloin for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden brown
- Serve with mustard aioli and lemon wedges 


Mustard Aioli

1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped 
1 teaspoon tarragon, finely chopped 
1 teaspoon kosher salt
6-7 grinds of freshly cracked black pepper 

- In a blender, combine mustard, egg yolk, vinegar, shallot and seasonings
- Combine on low speed for 20 seconds
- While the blender is still running, drizzle the oil into the mixture and continue to blend for 30 seconds
- Add more oil to adjust consistency to desired thickness  




In other news, I'm approaching the final five days of my Whole 30.  While a part of me is excited to return to the freedom to eat whatever I want, another piece of me is almost a little afraid to do so.  While the plan has been strict, I've managed to stick to it because that's what the rules say I'm supposed to do. I think it's going to be a bigger challenge for me to maintain his way of eating without the imposed rigidity.  Not saying I won't be able to manage, it's just going to be a bit harder, that's all.  We'll see... and like I mentioned in a prior entry, I promise periodic updates as to how life is going post Whole 30.  

If you're considering your own Whole 30, would like to learn a bit more about what it's all about or just like free stuff, check out our latest giveaway here: http://bit.ly/1fWpnwo 






No comments:

Post a Comment